I went for sushi with my friend T., and we ate miso soup and a tofu appetizer, and I said, “I like to eat tofu, but I don’t know how to cook it.” Two days later, I met her for dim sum (it was a weekend of feasting in honor of her birthday), and she solved my problem. I get a tofu cookbook, she gets the book out of the house so her boyfriend stops slavering over the incredibly erotic images of the author, Christine Liu, also known as “Tofu Mee Maw.”
Tonight I tried her recipe for Tofu with Tomato and Spinach.
- 1 lb firm tofu
- 1/2 lb or more, fresh tomatoes, sliced
- 1/4 lb of spinach, washed and drained
- 2-3 T of corn or canola oil
- 1/2 cup onion, minced, or 2-3 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 3 slices of ginger root
- 1/4 t salt
- 2 T regular or lite soy sauce
- 1 t sesame oil
- 1 t cornstarch mixed with 1 T water
- Cut tofu into 2″ x 1″ x 1/2 ” slices. Cut tomatoes into wedges. Shred the spinach with your hands.
- Heat oil in nonstick pan or wok, saute onion and ginger root. Arrange the tofu slices in the pan in one layer. Sprinkle salt evenly on the tofu and brown.
- Flip the tofu over and brown the other side.
- Add tomato and soy sauce; mix gently. Cover the pan and bring to a boil.
- Add spinach, sesame oil, and blended cornstarch. Stir and cook until the spinach leaves are wilted. Serve hot with rice or bread.
- Makes 6 servings.
- I used a big bag of spinach. This was a good idea. Lots of spinach.
- I wish I had used garlic and onion. I only used chopped scallion, garlic would have taken this to the next level.
- I don’t know if I love the sesame oil + tomato flavor. Next time I will use garlic and leave the sesame oil out until I taste everything and add a few drops if necessary.
- She says it serves 6. I don’t know about that – as one of several dishes on a Chinese table, sure. Or eaten with a big mound of rice, maybe. The tofu is deceptively filling. I say it serves 3 as dinner, without rice, and 4 as dinner with rice. Since the nutrition information says that 1 of 6 servings = 127 calories, I think we can call that good.
- Will make again.