The farmer’s market has glorious piles of green beans and tomatoes right about now, and here’s what I suggest you do with them:
- Take a good fistful of the beans and snap off the ends.
- Cut up one or two tomatoes – total tomato volume should equal the size of your fist.
- Cut up two cloves of garlic.
- Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a heavy pot with a lid over medium heat.
- Add garlic, toss to coat, let it cook for about 1 minute.
- Add greenbeans and tomatoes, toss to coat.
- Add a good shake of coarse sea salt.
- Cover the pot and let everything cook for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally. The tomatoes, oil, and garlic will turn into a delicious pulp and the green beans will steam a bright green and become tender.
Serves 1, easily expanded. Eat plain or serve over leftover rice or orzo. Garnish with a little crumbled feta, if that’s your thing.
Variation: Sprinkle some dried oregano or chopped fresh dill into the pot before you cover it.