Last night I made dinner for a few friends before heading to see District 9 (which is awesome), and it smelled so good and we were so hungry that I completely forgot to take a picture, though I did get the question: “If I pay you to make this for me, would you?” Answer: “Sure.” But you could just follow this recipe instead.
- 1 lb of ground lamb
- 2 whole shallots and 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 generous Tbsp of dried mint leaves
- 1 generous Tbsp of dried oregano
- Sea salt
- Pita bread, crumbled feta, sliced red onion for serving.
- Take the lamb out of the fridge and put it in a bowl and let it sit for 20-30 minutes while you prep the rest of dinner (side dishes, etc.) to come to room temperature.
- Put the garlic and shallots in a food processor and chop until very fine and dump them into the bowl with the lamb.
- Add the oregano & mint & a few good shakes of salt and a tsp or so of water to help you bind everything together.
- Use clean hands to mash everything together until well-combined.
- Divide into 3 equally sized balls and flatten into patties.
- Grill on a hot grill pan, grill, or skillet until desired done-ness. Serve in pita bread.
- I used shallots since they are what I had in the house. 1/4 an onion, or a bunch of scallions would also work great.
- You could also divide it into mini-burgers. My friend Nancy does that and it’s always a good idea.
- Other garnishes: Tzatziki, roasted red peppers, sliced cucumber & tomato – go nuts.
- Served with a tomato, basil, cucumber and feta salad on the side last night.