I don’t enjoy watching Alton Brown call himself disgusting on television, and I’m not on the smoothies! instead! of! meals! bandwagon, but I do trust that his food is going to taste really good and I can get behind both sardines and avocados. Hence, I tried The Sandwich, courtesy of Serious Eats. I didn’t need to make four sandwiches at the same time, so I adapted the recipe somewhat.
- 1 can of sardines packed in oil, drained and oil reserved in a little bowl (this is enough for 2 sandwiches)
- A little bit of lemon zest and 1/2 lemon cut into wedges
- Half a leftover avocado from when I made this bitchin’ salad with grilled steak the other day (also an Alton Brown recipe).
- Splash of red wine vinegar
- Some chopped fresh parsley – a few sprigs-worth
- Sea salt and fresh ground pepper
- 1 piece of hearty bread per sandwich
This makes enough for two sandwiches, so I’ll put the sardine mixture in the fridge until tomorrow…or later.
So the directions are: Make a happy little salad dressing with lemon zest, parsley, sardine oil, salt, pepper. Rub a little on the bread and toast it. Stick the rest of the sardines in the dressing and mash them with a fork. Mash the avocado onto the toasted bread, top with sardine mixture, squeeze a little more lemon on, salt, and devour. I would eat this again and again. Photos after the jump – I normally lead with them, but I feel that they will make P. gag, so I’m being nice.
Sardine mixture marinating with the lemon, parsley, and vinegar.
Finished sandwich. Not the prettiest or most portable lunch, but it’s in the running for tastiest.