This was tasty.
- 2 lbs. chicken parts (could be split bone-in breasts, legs, thighs – whatever you like).
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 5/8 cups chicken broth
- 5 tablespoons white wine
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- 1 bunch of spinach or chard, chopped
- Salt, pepper, and paprika
- Optional, 1 bunch of herbs like fresh parsley, rosemary, and oregano tied with twine (a bouquet garni)
- 2 dried red chilis
- Salt & pepper the chicken and dust it with paprika
- Preheat the onion to 375 degrees
- Heat the oil in a deep, heavy oven-safe pot (a dutch oven will do nicely) and brown the chicken on all sides – leave it in until it’s dark brown and has a nice color.
- Remove the chicken, set aside. Add the garlic, onion, and hot chilis to the hot oil in the pot, cook until the onion is aromatic and translucent.
- Add the bouquet garni to the onion/garlic mess in the bottom of the pot, place the chicken pieces on top of it, then pour in the chicken broth and white wine.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes at 375 degrees. Pull the chicken out and set aside for a moment.
- Spinach to the pot, then place the chicken back on top of everything. Squeeze the lemon wedges over it all, then tuck them in around the chicken. Cook for another 20 minutes or until chicken is completely cooked through.
- Serve the whole mess over rice.