Years ago I had a subletter named Rula. I remember two things about Rula.
- She had a cat who never, ever, ever came out of her bedroom because it was terrified of my cat. Whatever my cat did to her cat that first day when we both went to work was terrible, swift, and decisive.
- This soup recipe.
- 2 tbsp. butter or olive oil
- 4-5 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 large shallot, finely diced
- 1 whole chicken breast, chopped into small bite-sized pieces. I make P. do this because raw chicken breast makes me gag.
- 1 lb. mushrooms, sliced
- 32 oz. chicken broth
- salt & pepper
- splash of white or Marsala wine
- 1/2 pint heavy cream
- 1 lemon (optional)
- Heat butter or olive oil in a heavy pot. Add garlic and shallot and sweat them for 1-2 minutes. Throw in chicken pieces, stir to coat them. Shake a good amount of salt and freshly ground black pepper over the chicken pieces. Cook them through.
- Add mushrooms, stir well, cook them for 1-2 minutes.
- Add broth and a splash of cooking wine.
- Bring to a boil, then cover, lower heat, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Stir in cream.
- Squeeze a fresh lemon wedge into each bowl when serving.
Serve with crusty bread or toasted pita and something crisp, raw, and green on the side to complement the richness of the soup.